- Gates need to open away from the pool.
- Gates need to have a full free swing, without sticking onto the ground or paving.
- Gates need to self latch on full swing as well as a very short distance. (Finger test � put finger in between latch and gate and pull finger out - gate needs to close.
- Gate latches need to be at least 1.5m high from the ground level. (Top knob)
- Non climbable objects in a 1.4m radius from the gate latch.
- Hinges must be at least 900mm from each other otherwise they will need a 60 degree cap on the bottom hinge.
2. Doors and Windows:
No doors or windows that open more than 10cm are allowed to be in the pool area. (They will need to be screened, restricted of opening more than 10cm or permanently bolted)
3. Fence barrier:
Fence needs to be strong and in good condition.
Height must be a min of 1.2m from ground level.
Highest bottom horizontal rail to lowest horizontal rail needs to be 900mm between them.
No gaps under or in fence of more than 10cm.
No loose screws or panels.
Climbable border fencing � will need to be shielded.
4. Non Climbable Zone (NCZ)
The NCZ on the outside of the fence needs to be a clear 1.2m (on 1.2m fencing)
The NCZ in the inside of the fence needs to be a clear 300mm.
5. CPR sign:
The CPR sign needs to have the 30/ 2 compressions on it and must have how to treat an infant that has drowned.
Position: It needs to be at the shallow end of the pool and visible to follow instructions if needed.
Most Problem Areas
Taps - next to fence
Vegetation - climbable inside and outside fence
Pool pumps to close to fence
Gates catching - on ground level
Furniture or objects against fence
Trees hanging over pool fence
Wire fencing with big gaps
Gates not self latching
Lattice panels - climbable
Doors and windows directly into the pool area
CPR sign not visible
Gates kept open with bricks/string - BIG NO NO!!
Not all vegetation is climbable so do not rip out everything before consulting with me.
When in doubt rather call or send me a photo, so we can discuss.
Do you have a CPR Sign on your pool fence ?
Pool Tip Number 4
Pool gates need to self close from all positions.